Communication Specialist for complex humanitarian and global health topics
Learning Strategies International (LSi) is looking for a full-time communication specialist with the writing, editing, and technical skills required to develop high-quality multi-media content on complex ideas and action at the intersection of digital education, global health, development, and humanitarian issues.
Based in Geneva and a member of the Swiss EdTech Collider, LSi’s mission is to help international organizations tackling wicked problems execute complex change.
Working with The Geneva Learning Foundation in partnership with international organizations, such as the World Health Organisation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, we support the Foundation in developing ambitious, compelling digital learning journeys to help humanitarian, global health, and development workers progress to impact.
LSi is looking for a full-time communication specialist to join our growing, agile team, to ensure our organization’s external communications reflect our thought leadership and field impact to cement our reputation amongst donors, partners, and governments.
What you will do
- Work with senior management team and board to develop and refine key messaging and target audience
- Mine the stories that best deliver this message, and develop for publication on relevant platforms
- Manage website and social media accounts
- Produce Annual Review and promotional materials
- Grow our extensive mailing list
- Manage events
You are likely to be a good fit if you have the skills, experience and drive to
- Transform a mess of project and research documents into a concise, compelling communications package that will win over the most skeptical stakeholder.
- Write and edit crisp, memorable copy to develop content that is worth reading, whether the readers are community-based health workers or global decision-makers.
- Manage digital platforms and networks to support effective communication and to innovate in format and delivery.
- Develop, prepare, promote, and coordinate digital events to promote our projects to clients and their partners, donors, and other key stakeholders.
- Understand international organization environment including in relation to the needs of major donor strategies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Graduate degree in communications or journalism, or relevant combination of qualifications and experience in communications/journalism with public health, medicine, or education.
- Minimum 3 years experience in public health, humanitarian or development communications, with strong and demonstrable experience as a writer/editor.
- Demonstrably superior English language writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Fluency in other languages, particularly French, highly desirable.
- Able to cover the whole continuum of communication needs, from design to production and dissemination, from both strategic and operational perspective.
- Great analytical, listening, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent communication, positive attitude for a variety of different projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in high pressure production environment working with a distributed, agile, and self-directed team of creative and talented individuals.
- Mastery of social media, digital video, and other platforms and networks to achieve strategic communication aims.
- Ability to regularly travel to Geneva, Switzerland. Some travel to field locations in Africa and Asia may be required.
- Equally at ease, whether as a “one-person-band” driving a product from initial concept to delivery or managing the global, distributed team required to achieve success on larger projects.
An eclectic set of related skills and practical experience such as: interviewing, video production (gonzo, YouTuber style, not broadcast television), design, mixed methods research, or digital event management
While LSi is based in Geneva, Switzerland, in line with our agile work culture, the role can be remote, with some travel.